1. Where can I obtain a student identification number?
Before completing a magnet application, you will need to ensure that your child has a student identification number with Broward County Public Schools. You many secure the identification number from your child's home boundary school or any Broward County Public School.
2. How do I submit most recent report card and FSA test scores?
A copy of the applicant’s most recent report card and FSA test scores can be submitted by mail, fax, or email.
Broward County Public Schools
Demographics & Student Assignments
600 SE 3RD Avenue
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33301
If FSA scores are not available, applicants must provide nationally recognized standardized test scores in reading and mathematics.
3. Can I apply to more than one magnet program?
There are 3 School Choice options for your child:
· Magnet Program (only one magnet program)
· Nova School
You can apply to all three School Choice options listed above, but you can only apply to one magnet program.
4. Can I track the status or make changes to my child’s application?
Yes. Tracking your child’s status or making changes to your child’s application is fast and simple. Just log on to , then enter your confirmation number and the student identification number for your child. Changes to the application will be accepted until the deadline date. Notification of your child’s application status can be accessed by following the same process.
5. When will I be notified of my acceptance into a Magnet school?
Phase I notifications will be sent no earlier than March 2017.
6. If my child is in a Magnet School and applies to a different Magnet Program, does he/she automatically get in?
No. However, if your child is in a Magnet Program and applies to a secondary program by the deadline date, and meets the academic criteria, he/she will be given priority placement in filling the available seats. If a student chooses a different theme, priority placement WILL NOT be given. If the student wishes to change Magnet Programs in the middle of the academic year, entrance criteria must be met and space must be available in the new Magnet Program of choice. There is no automatic transfer.
7. Can I give my completed application to my child’s guidance counselor and have them mail it to the Demographics and Student Assignments Office?
It is YOUR responsibility to guarantee that your child's application is sent to the Demographics and Student Assignments Office by the deadline date.
8. Is there a cost to attend a Magnet Program?
No, Magnet Programs are free to students.
9. Is transportation provided?
Yes, transportation is provided by The Broward County School District to Magnet Schools for Magnet students who reside more than 2 miles from the school based on Magnet Transportation Zones.
10. Is there a cost for transportation if my child is accepted?
No, Magnet students are provided transportation at no cost within designated Magnet Transportation zones.
11. Will I automatically be registered at the Magnet School after I am accepted into the program?
No. You must register at the school following acceptance into the Magnet Program. Magnet Schools send acceptance letters to designated students, indicating a designated registration period. All students must register during that time period to guarantee a spot in the program.
12. If my child is currently enrolled in a Magnet Program, do they need to reapply?
Current magnet students do not need to apply in order to remain in their present magnet school. However, magnet students in the 5th and 8th grades must apply for middle and high school magnet programs.
13. If my child is currently attending a Magnet Program in another county and we move, are they automatically transferred into the Broward County Magnet Program?
No, you will need to complete an application to enroll your child in the Broward County Magnet Programs. Placement in a Magnet Program will be based on space availability, along with academic/talent criteria at the secondary level.
14. If my child is not accepted at their “choice” Magnet School, how do I request another choice Magnet School?
Contact the Demographics and Student Assignments Office at 754-321-2480 to request that your child be considered at their second choice Magnet School.
15. When will I receive the transportation schedule?
The transportation schedule is mailed to eligible parents the week prior to the first day of school. Other Questions? If you have additional questions you would like to ask, please contact us at (754) 321-2480.